Monday, July 23, 2012

Where to Start

It's been a while. Here is a bit of what we've been up to this spring and summer.
 We went to California and Miriam swam with dolphins.  I'm not sure there is an activity that better suits a nine-year-old girl than swimming with dophins.  Dancing with unicorns?  Kitten shopping? 
 Easter.
 Sam and Miriam are reading a ton this summer.  As a reader, this makes me exceeedingly happy.  Seeing them read to their younger brothers, well, sometimes I break out into a happy dance.

I love my garden.  Potates, leeks, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, herbs, carrots, peas, jalepenos, tomatillos, squash in many varieties, raspberries, strawberries, oh my!  We planted a peach tree this year and I have been dreaming about my very own asparagus patch. 

 The kids are getting older and bigger and sometimes sillier.
And little Aaron.  He is so delicious I could eat him up and at the same time he is so scream-y and kick-y and contrary I could just eat him up.
.
I have had a rough time since his birth, not only because having four kids is some kind of crazy, but I experienced postpartum depression this time.  I've never had it before.  I still feel a bit unsure of myself.  I hold back, afraid of my emotions.
.
If you step out my front door, walk east one block and north two blocks, you will step onto a trail and up into the mountains.  It is this that has helped me the most.  I am able to take a step away from my everyday life and climb among the rocks and trees almost daily.  I wouldn't have gone out this much if it weren't for our high maintenance German Shepherd.  God brings things together in our lives in interesting ways.  Here is a house near the mountains and a puppy that needs lots of exercise so that when you are struggling and your days are dark, you will be able to find a place to draw near to God and His love when you need it the most.

4 comments:

Chelle said...

Annie, good to hear about you and your life! Swimming with the dolpins looked AMAZING. How fun for Miriam! Siena would go crazy over that. Also, super impressive garden! So sorry to hear about the postpartum depression. That sounds so rough. But I'm glad you're able to get some solace in the mountains. Nature is so therapeutic isn't it?

Jessie said...

Yea, an Annie post! It's a great one at that. I'm glad you shared the good and the...less good. I find it helps not only you, but others who've been through something similar.

Oh, that picture of Aaron! Calvin said: "Is that Aaron?! Wow!" As in, wow does he look different (and CUTE!).

Our Little Corner said...

I won't tell Natalee about the dolphin swimming. I want her and Miriam to still be friends. :) We need to see you. It's an official need now, not just a want. However, we're out of town from the 31st to the 13th. We'll call you.

Emily said...

Annie, Thanks for your comment on my blog. It is good to hear from you. I struggled with the same thing after baby #3. I tried medication and that didn't work for me. But a friend told me about vitamin B-100 complex. It has changed my life! It is for mood and energy. I used to feel like I was moving through mud. My patience was non-existent and I was really feeling defeated. After 3 days of taking 1 vitamin per day, I didn't stopped taking long naps and I was a much happier person. Now, I take a vitamin every other day and life is good.

Your garden is beautiful! Wish I had your green thumb. I just did tomatoes and basil this year.