
My trip to see Sarah in Cleveland was lovely. I began and ended the trip with the book, Gift From the Sea. The author writes of her experience alone on an island. The beginning chapters talk of finding peace--of taking a breath from the chaos that can happen with children, housework, etc. This is just what I needed, what I hoped my trip would give me. While there, I was given great gifts.

Sarah provided me with my own little sanctuary. Her finished attic was my home for the week. I had my own door to close and a small desk for writing. On a table by my bed there was a candle and in the bathroom, some bath salts. Every morning I came down to a delicious and wholesome breakfast (with a vitamin by my plate) and every night I enjoyed homemade lasagna's, pasta's, and other such yumminess (none of which I had to prepare). In short, Sarah took care of me.
As a mom, I have the divine role of nurturer to my family. Sometimes, as I am caring for the needs of my family, I forget that I too need nurturing. This little 'kerchief from Sarah will remind that I can nurture myself and create a nurturing environment among the women around me.

And of course, there was pie--not just one pie, but six. Sarah and I decided to throw a pie and paint-chip poetry party. She invited her new friends and we ate and laughed and snapped our fingers. This reminded me that life is joyful. I can love my life. That is a choice.

Without the noise of everyday, I remembered a lot about myself. I have always wanted to play the violin. Somehow this came up after the pie party. During lingering conversations with the last guest and the remarkable woman said, "I have two violins. I should just give you one." I laughed and thought, "Well, she'll probabgly change her mind when she really thinks about what she's offered." She didn't.
I discovered a scripture that explains my week in Ohio. "And make proposals for peace . . . and all things shall work together for your good." I have had a great need for some peace and healing, and God provided a way for me to find that, and hey, a violin too.
So nurture your soul, find joy, and open your heart to the love and gifts from God.
6 comments:
That is so beautiful. It brings me a little peace to hear about yours. I'm happy the week was such a blessed one.
I keep wondering if I could use some time away, or if I'd spend the whole time wishing Louie was with me. I've had lots of loner time in my life, some cherished and some not. If I make it to kid #3, I can almost guarantee I'd need some time away!
Thanks to Sarah for spoiling my sister so lovingly.
Sounds like you had a great time!!! I am envious!!! Good for you Annie!!
Sounds like you had a good time. Everyone needs time to themselves to find themselves again. I have been rediscovering alot about myself this year with just lucy at home. I do think that is one blessing that has come from my sickness is my body requires alot of me time to keep my health stable. A whole week!!! Good for you!
It was great to have you here! I was thrilled to meet such a neat person! Sarah really inspires great things doesn't she? I can't help but be positive and happy when I'm around her. I'm sure you know what I mean! I'm glad you trip was great and I'm so glad I got to meet you! I hope to get to see you again!
My Grandma gave me "Gift from the Sea" years ago when I lived in Los Angeles, and I've never read it. You've just inspired me to pull it out. It sounds like you had a heavenly, and much needed, vacation. I'm jealous and so proud of you!
Sarah sounds like a great friend and Spencer must be some kind of husband! I've heard good things about Cleveland's botanical gardens. Liz and I will have to make the trip out someday.
Post a Comment